Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Civil War Medallion Quilt Center


Round Robin season has come again for the Heber Valley Quilt Guild. This year for the center block I used reproduction fabrics and made a block called Favorite Block. It is a traditional block that dates back to the early 1800s. We had guild meeting last week and I sent along with my block a bunch of Civil War reproduction fabric and asked the ladies to use that fabric as they add the borders to my center block. My hopes are to use the finished product as I go about the west pretending to live in 1863.

I also sent along this picture of a real 1857 medallion quilt to give the guild ladies an idea of the simple borders they used to complete their quilts. I am so excited to see what I get in a few months when we are all finished!

The quilt on the right is my round robin quilt from 2006, the first year I participated. I made the center block with potted tulips. The quilt on the left is my round robin from 2007. My grandma had just passed away and she had a few really great apple trees. I made my center block an apple tree for my grandma.


I did two round robins in 2008 and this is one of them. The center starburst is mine. It turned out pretty fun. The picture below is the other one from 2008. This one is my favorite I think. I am not sure why, I just love it. I love the center block I made and I love what the ladies did to it with the borders.


I passed up the round robin group in 2009 because I knew with a newborn babe that I would not have a lot of extra sewing time. I am kinda sad about that decision, but oh well. There are MANY more years to come!

2 comments:

mom said...

WOWOWOWOW!!
You STILL amaze me,,,,,,,awesome, awesome.

Cherlelynn Bednar said...

Wow you have been up to so much! What beautiful quilts and it looks like you guys had a GREAT Easter! I admit I have only heard of the egg roll at the White House (and am still not sure what it's all about) but it sounds like you guys have a fun family tradition. I love the colored eggs! Too cute! Hope all is going well for you and your family :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...