Thursday, July 19, 2012

Civil War Signature Quilt in progress


I started putting my civil war signature quilt together the other day.  I made all the 5 inch signature blocks in the winter, and have slowly been taking them to our civil war events and meetings to get the signatures I need.  Since my spring civil war adventures were limited with being pregnant, I don't have all the friends' signatures I want yet.  Anyway, I started the first round with just fellas.  I figure if they are going to surround Lee and Grant, they need to be soldiers, infantry to be specific!  So I am getting ready for the next round which will be ladies and civilians.  After that, I am hoping to meet up with my cavalry friends and get them going on the third round.  I am so excited!  I think it is going to be wonderfully fun to have a little memento from the folks that I have come to love with this amazing hobby.
The only thing that is holding me back right now is that I need more dark gray/black fabric for another border before the second round of signature blocks get added.


The signature blocks start out like these two.  


Then I trim them down to 5 1/2 inches, so they will be 5 inches when finished in the quilt.  I love the square in a square quilt block - perfectly period correct and perfectly useful for all the civil war reproduction fabric scraps I have from other projects!  I think this project is perfectly fun as well - it will be special to me like signature block quilts were to those amazing folks that lived 150 years ago.
 

When I share the second round, I promise to iron that wrinkle out of Grant's face.  It was ironed, but after I folded it up and took it to our meeting the other night, Grant seemed to suffer tremendously with that big wrinkle!  Oh, that print in the center is from a Judie Rothermel collection.  Love her!




1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh wow, Rachel
This is quite the quilt. It will be most awesome.
Don't you dare give it away, you keep it for yourself.
It's gonna be so beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...