Saturday, October 04, 2008

Our first smudge

I built our first ever fire today in our new stove! It rained all night and most of the day so it was a little chilly here today. The power was out for about an hour this morning so it was the perfect opportunity to build a little fire. It took a little love and some newspapers from the neighbors, (all I had was book order newspaper!)but I had a roaring little fire in no time. I let it burn good and warm for about 2 hours and got the kitchen thermometer up to 75 degrees (holy sweat glands!) and then shut her down to just a little air flow. It burned nice and slow for a few more hours and now it is 8:00 at night and it is still a nice 71 degrees in here.



It was a nice lazy morning with a fire going while we watched General Conference with the neighbor's rabbit ears on our TV. Nothing like the good ol days! At noon we headed to Home Depot to buy a little poker stick set. I needed one of those!


Now I just need to get Matt to split a little more wood to hold us over for the next 6 months and all will be well in Heber City! He is down south for the weekend trying to find him a nice elk to kill. Doesn't that sound nice? I hope his bed is dry tonight in that tent of his!

4 comments:

Krista said...

I remember using the wood burning stove in my parent's basement when it was cold. I loved how fast it warmed up. Glad you were able to use it. Hope Matt gets his Elk!

*Crusan said...

OH RACH--I am SOOOOOOO jealous! When we were first married, we rented a little A-frame house in Midway and it had a woodburning stove. I LOVED WINTER those 2 years! Congratulations...and let me give you some advice...DON'T USE charcoal lighter fluid...BAD IDEA! (yes, I am speaking from experience!)

Anonymous said...

I guess if we have to put up with this dang cold weather winter crap, its nice to have a warm toasty fire,,,, there is nothing quite like it.

Unknown said...

I love the smell of a wood burning stove, and it makes the house fell sooo toasty. Nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...