Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Surprise Weekend at Jackson Hole

Matt called me when he was driving home from work on Thursday and said to me "Do you want to go see the Bar J Wranglers Saturday night?" He knew that was the right question to ask me. Not "Do you want to travel with the kids for 6 hours?" or "How about you forget all the plans you made for the weekend and lets go to Jackson Hole, what do you say dear?" No, he knew the Bar J Wranglers was the correct bait for me.

Friday night we headed out. We drove to Kemmerer, WY and stayed the night. The next morning we went to Fossil Butte National Monument. I loved it. I am not sure if the girls were that impressed, but I absolutely loved it.


50 million years ago there was a lake in Wyoming that was 50 miles long and 20 miles wide. It looked like Florida, so lush and pretty. They have found thousands and thousands of fish fossils, crocodiles, turtles, plants, insects, bats, mini horses, bla bla bla. Here are the girls with one of the croc fossils found there.

This palm frond was my favorite so I made them smile for this one. What an amazing fossil! Like I said, I loved this place.

Imagine this sagebrush place a teeming sea! Amazing! They made fossil rubbings, Kendal loved that part.


Salt River Pass - between Cokeville and Star Valley.







We spent some time Saturday afternoon at the Jackson Hole Visitor's Center. The girls charmed the rangers into bird watching with a scope from the balcony. Kelsey truly was interested. Kendal just wanted to feel the wind in her hair I think!



Here they found a few tadpoles and watched the ducks.




What is a trip to Jackson without a visit to the antler arches? Isn't my family so dang cute?




Kendal and I found Bigfoot. This is as close as she would get to him. I wanted her to stand next to him so I could get a good picture and she kept saying "but i don't yike it, i don't yike it." She was not impressed with Bigfoot.



Now the best part of the trip - a visit to the Bar J Chuckwagon. We met up with Matt's parents earlier in the day and went out there for dinner and of course, some 4 part harmony. We hung around about an hour before dinner and enjoyed the coolness of the shade and of the pretty valley. Dinner was wonderful, so was the singing, and so was Bryan Humphrey. Matt knows of my little crush on him, so I suppose I can express it here. They were great.



Little Emmitt, he wasn't as impressed with the Bar J Wranglers as I was. He must have had a tummy ache and I think they were a little loud for him. We spent most of the time right outside the door - cool air, a pacifier, and still a nice view of Bryan Humphrey. Oh yeah, and I could still hear that good ol' cowboy singing! Plus, Kendal was a little restless after dinner, so Matt and I took turns keeping an eye on her running outside the place like a wild child.





Matt, Larry, and Emmitt - right after dinner.



I had to change Emmitt's diaper so I went out where we could be alone and out of the way. Look at the swarm of little girls that came to see my Emmitt! It was so funny. They truly did swarm, but they must of have known something was a little different with him because they didn't come close until the diaper was snapped shut and his pants where up! Then they all oohed and awed over the "tute baby boy." Notice Kendal in the purple shirt staking her claim and telling all the girls how it is - he is her's!




Sunday we attended the Jenny Lake Bridge Ward for church and had a super time. I hadn't ever been to Jenny Lake. It was so pretty. It reminded me of our trip to McCall, Idaho and Payette Lake last summer. There is something about those high mountain lakes and the crisp air!









We had a super weekend. The girls and baby were pretty good travelers (thank goodness for the library and books on CD!), the weather was perfect, the company was great (thanks Larry and Ellen for a fun time), and it was just great to get out of town with my family. Thanks Matty.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like you had blast! I'm glad you liked Jenny Lake it is so beautiful there!

mom said...

yayayayay for the Cranes,,,,, glad ya got away for the week end!!

Krista said...

I have only been to Jackson Hole once when I was little and we have a picture of the arch of horns as well. It has been around for a long time.
Looks like you had a lot of fun. I can't believe how big your baby is getting!

Camille said...

Jenny Lake and Star Valley are my favorite places in that area. Brad and I quite enjoyed the Bar J wranglers when we saw them years ago. Thanks for making me homesick!! I love the mountains in all your pictures :) Your family is pretty darn cute too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...