Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Marion's Daughter

What it means to be Marion's daughter:

When I was around 12 my dad asked me what I wanted to be when I was older. I told him "a nurse" and I was pretty serious about that quest. He said, "A nurse? Why be the nurse when you have the brains to be the doctor?"

My dad expects great things from people because he is a great person himself. He can also do just about anything. I mean that - he is a handy guy to have around. I grew up with him making or doing anything he needed, so that is how I thought the world was - you just figured it out and did it. I was wrong. My dad is one of a kind and the most self sufficient person I know.

There are many examples - he makes cabins, furniture, toys, fences, garages, leather saddles, wind chimes, basements, bathrooms, rocking horses for grandkids, corrals, engines, tree swings that make little ones laugh, and just about anything else you might need. He can fix anything and I mean ANYTHING! I could go on and on.

Anyway, I love my Matty, but he is not handy like my dad. He is a wonderful hardworker, an excellent father and husband, and the most amazing veterinarian, but when things need to be fixed around the house, I usually do it. It is part of being my dad's daughter.


So when we (I) were planning our basement, I wanted to run cat5 wire to the downstairs because that is where I wanted the computer to reside. I ran the wire the night before the insulation was done. It has been tucked away nicely in its little blue hole for 6 months now. It was time to tackle it. So this is what I started out with, and this is what I finished with.

Doesn't it look so nice? I put the cat5 jack ends on the two ends of the wires, one upstairs and one downstairs. I hooked everything up and it works! I did have to call my dad to ask why cat5 wire has 8 wires, and a few other questions, but I did it.




So now the computer is downstairs, where I planned it to be in the first place. It used to be upstairs, but now that space is all spiffed up for Matt. See how empty that desk is? Matt will fill that baby up in no time! Actually, the incubator is there right now with fresh trich samples in it that he collected today. Yeah, he overdid himself again and hopefully he will sleep well tonight.


Here is where the computer now resides, downstairs at the base of the stairs. I love it here. It is out in the open and much better than shut away in the far room like before.

Thanks Dad for teaching me that I can do anything, even tedious wiring!

3 comments:

Krista said...

What a great trait to have! My mom is the same way. I wish I had inherited some of it!

Tori -- daughter #2 said...

Aren't we glad that we are Marions daughters?!?!
(goes along the lines of our phone conversation this morning)
Jared is an amazing handy man-- but when I was single I figured ALOT of stuff out on my own, well there was usually a phone call to dad, but I still did it by myself.
Now just to instill this in our children.

Mom said...

I could never in a million hrs figure out what you just explained. Good thing I have Marion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...