Wednesday, April 25, 2012

T Rex

 The other day I was here on the computer and Emmitt was watching a dvd about dinosaurs in the same room.  He is quite fascinated with dinosaurs lately thanks to a few library books and dvds.  He knows his dad's favorite dinosaur is the Triceratops, and mine is the Pteradactyl.  He says their names perfectly too, it is too cute!  He prefers the T Rex because it "eats red meat."  He knows what they all eat and is quite the little dinosaurologist, I mean paleontologist.  
Anyway, he was watching a movie and it was explaining why the T Rex's body shape was the way it was.  I giggled when I overheard it.  So, the T Rex had a monster sized head compared to his body.  That put quite a bit of weight on the front end of the creature, which needed to be balanced out somehow.  That is where the tail and strong back legs came in.  The T Rex needed a long, heavy tail to keep it all happy, upright, and balanced.
I could not help but think of my body as of late.  I have this monster sized tummy in the front, and that must be why my body feels the need to compensate with my back end to keep me balanced!  It makes perfect dinosaur survival sense, as well as perfect pregnant lady sense!  Well, okay, so it is a stretch and a mighty horrible excuse for my rear, but it makes me feel better!  I laughed inwardly as I listened to the movie teaching my son about dinosaurs and that I could find a connection with myself and those ancient beasts!
   


Okay, quilting thoughts now.  I am going to piece the backing of this one tomorrow so I can send it off to be quilted.  This quilt started in 2006 and many of the blocks are made from quilters from all over the state.  I of course had to make many many many more blocks to make it into a queen sized quilt, and so I guess that is what I have been doing for the past 6 years!  I am excited to get this one on my bed!




 I threw this quilt together yesterday.  I bought 1/2 yard of a bunch of civil war era reproduction fabrics last week, cut them up Monday, and sewed them together yesterday.  I need it to work on at a civil war school day event we are doing in May in SLC.  I think I will take the wooden quilting frames and the whole shebang.  It should be fun.  It is a little larger than what a soldier's cot quilt would have been 150 years ago, as it is 72" by 96".  I suppose that it will fit a modern twin bed nicely though!  I purchased the backing fabric today and I am excited to get this sweet one finished.


I used to think civil war era fabric patterns and colors were hideously ugly, but I must admit, they are surely growing on me.  Most of these are from one of Judy Rothermel's collections.  Definitely not the trendy new Riley Blake patterned fabric, but I do love it!




1 comment:

Jake said...

Its amazing how you take a bunch of ugly civil war area squares put them together and it looks pretty good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...