Sunday, May 04, 2008

Quilting in the Woods

My mom came up to Heber City on Thursday evening so I could escape for the weekend. Our quilt guild always does a fun 'Quilting in the Woods' retreat on the first weekend of May. We have previously gone up to a fun cabin above Kamas, but there was too much snow this year and we couldn't get up there. So we went to a really super nice hotel in Park City.


After insulting the concierge by calling him a bellhop, we, Jen, Patti, Heather, and I, loaded our JUNK onto the cart and headed up to the 5th floor. Boy did we have alot of things to haul around! I was thinking that it was nice that we didn't have to pack sleeping bags like we usually do for the cabin!

There were around 16 ladies from our guild that went and sewed for the weekend. We had 2 nice suites for our use and we all sat together in one to sew. This picture is taken from the 2nd floor where the cutting tools were. We had to climb upstairs to cut our fabric, which was SO good for me considering all the food I consumed.

This is my friend Patti. She is a fun fun quilter that I got to know better, but I have actually known her for a few years. It was such a fun time to sit around sewing with crazy, wild ladies telling 'grosser than gross' stories and other crazy tales.


We learned how to make Kaleidoscope quilts while at the retreat. If we wanted to make one, we had to bring a large print fabric with contrasting background. Paulette, another guild member, taught us how to cut the fabric so the same pattern appeared in each pie shape and then how to sew them together to make it look kaleidoscopish. I made 18 blocks that are all different with the same fabric and now I get to figure out how to piece those crazy shapes together to make a quilt top.



I can not believe how much food I consumed over the weekend. I went up there on Friday morning and got home around 6:00 on Saturday evening and I think I honestly ate about 5 days worth of food, but mostly JUNK food!



I weighed myself this morning and before I did, I prepared myself for a 7 pound weight gain, but to my utter surprise, I am only 1/2 pound more than usual! I think all those calories have not yet been imbedded into my behind yet. We will see what the scale says tomorrow! I need to find that Slim-Fast that got pushed to the back of my pantry!



Thanks to my sweet mom for taking care of the chillens for the weekend. It was such a super time to go away and not worry, and then come home to a clean house! Matt did take the girls to Salina on Saturday too, so kudos to my Matty.

By the way, this is for Brittany, my sister had her baby on May 1st, her due date. Pictures and details to come!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is some serious sewing! Yeah for you for getting away for the weekend. It looks like lots of fun.

Spencer's Adventures said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Great projects.

Anonymous said...

so what exactly do you do at a quilting retreat? Any pillow fights? You couldn't possibly sew all day long!

Jenn said...

Is that a new hair do? It's been way too long since we've seen each other.

Britt said...

Looks like a fun weekend, and it does make it even better to come home to a nice clean house!

Rachel said...

JENN, not a total new do, but a sleeker do.

No pillow fights this year, just sewing and telling horribly funny stories. Oh, and lots of food.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun night and holy cow, could that blue bag be any bigger? I am jelious of your social group there, but not jelious enought to sew all night. Maybe I can be you entertainment next time:)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Go Matt!!!! I have to beg for the dishes to be put in the sink when I am gone all day. Very immpressive!

*Crusan said...

oh my HELL you are the funniest thing on 2 feet. The junk food was a bit much. It was fun for a while- the part about it heading to your behind? Girl you make me LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...