Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'll show you Sports Authority!

I have been doing a lot of research online and yesterday I FINALLY made up my mind. So at 9:20 am I got in my car and headed to Park City to go to the sporting goods store called Sports Authority.
I was headed up there to get a heavy bag, like a boxing bag, like the kind that Rocky used to use in the good ol days. So I found the store and walked in. I was impressed with how roomy the store is, 2 floors of sporting goods fun. So I wandered around the store, saw the snowboards, the ice skates, the sleds, the skiis, the warm winter clothing, the gloves, etc etc. I walked around the ENTIRE store and found nothing related to boxing. Actually I didn't even see a baseball bat or mitt. I should have known, this is Park City we are talking about right?
So I walked up to the the punk kid cashier who was texting on his cell phone while I was trying to talk to him. I said "I am looking for anything boxing." He got a very amused look on his face, then laughed, and said "Uhm, uhm, I think we have a pilates ball upstairs." I wanted to give him my nice combination I have been working on that goes a little like this - left jab - left jab - right cross - left round kick. But I didn't. It wasn't that he acted like a complete mannerless idiot, it was that he laughed at me! I knew better than to trust SPORTS AUTHORITY in Park City, I mean come on! Everyone knows that Park City only does snowboarding and celebrities, not boxing, even though the online Park City store said they had heavy bags. I wanted to say to the punk "So, you are not the sports authority, you are the snow boarding and texting authority" but I didn't. I left.
I went home, got on the phone with the Orem Sports Authority and asked if they had heavy bags. "YEP!" So I headed south around 11:00 to Orem.

Look at what I came home with! I am so excited. I couldn't decide between a heavy bag that you hang and the ones like this that stand up on their own once you fill the base with water. I decided on this one and I think I am really going to like it. It is the kind we use at my kickboxing class. Filling it up with water once I got home is another story! Matt was very helpful though and I think he is going to like it too.

Just one more thing, when I was talking on the phone with my brother the other night trying to figure out the Super Suffocation lyrics (lyrics, not words - that means it is a REAL song!) he said to me "You are not talking about Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts are you?" I laughed because that brought another memory to my mind and I had to sing that song. Boy, the fun things small town kids do for fun! Actually, Matt has never heard of any of these songs, although I know they existed in Sevier County because one of my friends remembered another verse to Super Suffocation. It is in the comments if anyone wants to enlighten themselves.
Okay, here is the other song's LYRICS:
Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts, mutilated monkey meat, little turdy birdy feet, french fried eye balls rolled up in camel snot, made without a spoon but I brought my straaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
You gotta draw out the last part of 'straw.' My dad sang it a little differently for me on the phone, but this is the way the southern half of Lyman kids used to sing it because that is how I remember it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowowo, the kick boxing thing looks fun (if i were 20 years younger, that is) All i can say is watch out Heber City,,,,Rachel is one tough chick. Serious! She is!

Spencer's Adventures said...

I hope this doesn't mean you are not going to class anymore! You are still signing up for the next time aren't ya?

Jenn said...

I hope I never run into you in a dark alley.

Talbots said...

Once you fill it with water and get it where you want it, how do you drain it? I want to see those jabs in person this weekend. Maybe you could give us a demo on Matt! See you soon!!!

Unknown said...

What a cool bag! Next time I am frustrated can I come over and just hit the bag?!

Rachel said...

I am not quitting class Wendy, I am still going to sign up for March and April, I just need a little weekend release!!

Mindy, you can still move it when it is full. It only takes about 20 punches to move it across the basement. I have a drain in the basement, so I will just tip it over there. Believe me, I thought of that one!

Heather, I was going to show you last night, but by 11:30 my brain was done!!

Anonymous said...

Now it's time for you to start doing a kcik boxing class in your basement. I want the invite:) If the Stake woman start a powder puff football team someday(along with Basketball and Volleyball), I will be glad you in my ward on my side.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...