Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Grade

Kelsey started first grade today. She was so excited!! She didn't get to bed as early as I wanted last night because we had to drive down to SLC and rescue Matt all broken down on I-215, but I warned her that she better be happy when I wake her lazy bones up in the morning. She woke up early this morning, ran in our bedroom and asked "Am I late for school?" I told her no, she didn't need to get up for another 1/2 hour. She went back to bed!

Matt and Kelsey rode bikes to school together this morning and Matt made sure she got into the right classroom. I had a little lump in my throat as I watched her ride away knowing that she would be gone all day long this time around. No tears though. I saw a handful of other first grade moms today and they asked me if I was lonely or if I was having a hard time with Kelsey being gone all day. Am I a horrible mom for saying no?

Most of them kept carrying on about how much they missed their kids already and how lonely and long the day was with them gone all day. Not me! She SO very much needed to go to school all day! She has been so ready for this. I am sad however that my little cocoon of a world I have made for her is no longer around her. I won't have the influence that I used to nor the ability to block out the bad things from her anymore. That is all that makes me sad, my little girl is growing up and seeing the real world, not just the sheltered world I have had her live in so far. Oh well, that is how it goes right? We can't keep them couped up in a bubble forever!


She was so excited when she got home and was so anxious to tell me about her new friends, school lunch, their classroom pet, 2 recesses now not 1, and that her teacher lets them have a reading pal, a stuffed animal, during reading time. What a fun fun day for my little goose.

By the way, the raccoon trapping has been quite disappointing. The buggers tricked us one night, and then they haven't been back since! My corn in the garden is almost ready to eat, I think that means they will be back very soon. Wish me luck.

13 comments:

Emily said...

I thought I was the only one who was glad for my son to go back to school. So I'm glad to read that you weren't emotional either. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me. ;)

What a nice dad to ride with her to school.

Emily Albrecht

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting!! I can picture them riding down the road. I will bet that she will love school every day. I wonder what vet stuff she'll teach her class this year??? Last year will be hard to top, unless she can do a demonstration...

Anonymous said...

Mindy, that makes my daughter seem so horrible!!

Emily, thanks for making me feel better about it too! So happy at our house!!

Anonymous said...

The outside world is very scary!! But I know that you have raised and are raising a very smart little girl that won't let the "scary" things in life get to her. She knows right from wrong very well and her stubbornness can help in this area. Now all you gotta do is guide her and try to explain things to her in a way that doesn't make her too curious to try stupid things or act stupid. Does that even make sense?

Jenn said...

I completely share your feelings on the kids going off to school. Yea! BUT I don't want that protected bubble to pop!--EVER!

Anonymous said...

Yeah,,, I understand ya there,,, its nice for you to have some time to yourself,and Kelsey is sooooooo ready for school,,,But it is kinda hard to send them out in the world,,,,but its all good,,,,,its called the life cycle.

Unknown said...

what a big event in your family life, first child going to first grade..Big step for all of you. I donot think you need to worry to much about the big bad world out there.. Kelsey has a great family and a good foundation to grow on.

Looking forward to seeing your family at the reunion... and to see how much everyone has changed in the last year.

Unknown said...

what a big event in your family life, first child going to first grade..Big step for all of you. I donot think you need to worry to much about the big bad world out there.. Kelsey has a great family and a good foundation to grow on.

Looking forward to seeing your family at the reunion... and to see how much everyone has changed in the last year.

Adree said...

I can't believe she is already in first grade. I can counting the days till Adi gets to go to first grade. Maybe I should stick with counting the years for awhile.

Krista said...

Wow! I can't believe that you have a first grader. That's crazy! I can't blame you for being excited to have her gone the whole day. I'm already counting down the days until Anna goes (I know....That's a long, long time!).

Jenny said...

ditto!

Anonymous said...

You have a first grader....gosh, I can remember how serious you were as a little 2 or 3 year old girl, wanting to hold my new baby girl. Now your baby is going to 1st grade! Time flies!

Tacey said...

Geez, I might need some guidance on this whole sending the oldest child to school (all day). I am a little nervous. Taylor is really excited though, Anthony is going to be lost without her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...