Friday, June 24, 2011
Fort Douglas Day Ball
Here is the ball gown I had been working on all week. I should have had a picture taken somewhere other than this narrow hallway, but it was the end of the evening and I was in a hurry to get out of the dress! I finished the hook and eyes to attach the bodice to the skirt together while Amanda did my hair just a few hours before the ball! I used the Simplicity 2881 pattern for the bodice of the dress. I already had the skirt, I just needed a ballgown bodice to go with it. I tweaked it a little bit to make it a bit more modest for me - the period correctness of the dress WAY off the shoulder is just a little too much for me! I also didn't add quite as much embellishments as the pattern suggests, because I am a bit more plain than fancy and that suits me the best. I think it turned out pretty good, and it was fun to wear. We had a fabulous evening at the ball. I love mid-1800 dances, they are so much fun. Hopefully I will have a few more chances to wear my new dress!