Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kendal Ree

Thanks Jen, Jones, Debbie, Mom, Angie, and everyone else that has sent over a little entertainment for Kendal. She loves everything, and actually has the attention span to play some of the games since she is mostly immobile!


Yesterday Kendal figured out the brush on her sister's hair. It was wonderful. She as happy and content. I made Kelsey sit in front of her for as long as Kendal would brush, which honestly lasted about 40 minutes. So nice!


We went to Primary Children's Hospital yesterday for a check up with the neurologist. It went really well. Kendal did so great until Dr. Thompson came in the room and then Kendal let a nasty, and poop ran down her leg. Since our incident with the throwing up all night with the Lortab, she has not been eating very well and has had a nasty gut with nasty poop. Anyway, she let it all out right there in the exam room. We changed her diaper, but we had no clean pants to put on her. I felt like a horrible mom walking around the hospital with a 2 year old that had on a coat, no pants, and a cast on her leg while it was snowing outside! I have seen moms like that before and I think "Dang lady, don't you know it is winter! Get your kid dressed and I hate seeing that soggy diaper, gross." Well, now I will not think like that anymore when I see those negligent moms, maybe they had a blow out and a bad day too!

Anyway, Dr. Thompson was really happy with the way things have been going for Kendal. He told me to consider myself lucky that Kendal is doing so well because most kids, 90 to 95 %, that have seizures as badly as she did don't ever develop normally and have big delay issues. I am so happy with the way Kendal has been progressing, she is doing so great, and to hear Dr. Thompson say that made my day. He wants to look at her brain waves again so we go in next week for another EEG. I hope he is as happy about the EEG results and that they turn out okay.

He didn't have too much to say about the broken leg, thank goodness I guess. He did say "Be glad it wasn't her neck." Geez, thanks.

I had to take a picture of this yesterday. Notice the coat and diaper! These fish move around on a little chain track and Kendal LOVES them. When we were at Primary's this fall, we had to go to the ER for a long story I won't share with you, anyway, this is what is at the end of the hall when you walk out of the ER section into the hospital. When we were there before, we walked out of the ER doors and Kendal saw this sight and took a big ole run for it. I ran after her but could not catch her so she slammed right into the glass and fell on the floor from the impact. It was horrible, but so dang funny. She didn't cry, of course not, she doesn't cry unless her leg is broken, so it was okay to laugh. There was a group of around 6 teenagers watching the scene and they died laughing, but not until I started to laugh. So funny, I will always remember that.

Kendal slept so well last night, I put her to bed at 9 and didn't hear a peep until 9 this morning. It was a miracle. I needed some sleep last night and it felt great. We get the cast on this afternoon, I hope it isn't too much heavier than this splint or we will have a few bad nights again I think! Moaning, thrashing, whining, tossing, turning, "mama mama", you know how it goes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad she she doing so good. I will have to go to Primary's ER to see those fish. I'll go without an excuse though.

Anonymous said...

Good job Kelsey for being patient and letting Kendal brush your hair. Sometimes when it gets pulled it is hard to sit there. You are a great big sister.
At Primary Children's you can see about anything. It's great because everyone there is glad they are not you....but they are handling something that you are glad you don't have to handle. It's an amazing place.
Me, I can never remember my username and password...

Jenny said...

I am glad that Kendal is progressing. I really think that they need to meet Jack Jack and then they would have a whole 'nother level for Kendal! I hope that these two will soon learn how to share and have fun with each other like Kelsey and the boys! I have been to Primary's enough I take your word for it that the fish are cool!

Krista said...

Oh...I'm so sorry about the diaper blow out! That is not a fun experience. I hope that she is doing okay with her cast. Oh, and congrats on the 12 hours of sleeping! Hopefully that will continue!

Spencer's Adventures said...

Glad to hear you got some good news. I'll have to take your word on the fish. It's fine with me if I never make it to the ER.

Jenn said...

Gosh- you'd think I was pregnant. That post got me crying. I'm so happy Kendal is doing so well.

As for leaving the Doc's with a necked child-- been there done that. I too learned not to judge other moms. But I sure felt like everyone was judging me.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...your doing a great job. Hope it gets easier for ya..which I am sure it will. I am sure parents pittied you at the hospital with a two year old in a cast then judge you on her bare legs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...