Saturday, April 05, 2008

Kendal, the toughest kid I know

It all started with a beautiful day yesterday. After we got Kelsey to school, Kendal and I spent a few hours outside cleaning up the flower beds that I was a little too tired to take care of in the fall. Later in the afternoon Kendal and I went to Jen's house for a little bit and she jumped on their trampoline with Jen's boys and loved it. So when Kendal and I got home, I decided it was time to put our trampoline mat on.

Kelsey helped me and it went pretty fast. When the springs were all on, I put both of the girls on and within a minute and a half there was a massive collision. I thought Kelsey would be the one crying since she got a hard elbow to the throat, but it was Kendal and she immediately grabbed her calf. Kendal is honestly the toughest kid I know. She has such a high pain tolerance, she can handle just about anything. So when she was still crying after 30 seconds I knew something was wrong. She will usually have a major crash and if she does cry, it only lasts for 10 or 15 seconds, then she is off again.
So I looked at and felt her leg and I have to admit not very gently, then took off her shoe and noticed that her ankle was already swelling up. I joked with Derek, who was watching them jump also, that she must have broke her little bone in her leg, the fibula, or sprained her ankle good because she was still crying. I tried to have her stand up, no way! I called Matt who was on his way home and he said I better take her to the ER (it was 6:30) if she was already swelling up.
So off to the ER we went. We were greeted by very happy nurses that we had not seen since August and they were happy to see Kendal doing so well.
After the x-ray tech took Kendal's pictures, and made sure the images turned out okay, I was starting to put her pants back on he said "Just leave them off, I think Dr Berg will want to see it." He saw that nice clean tibia break but he couldn't tell me.
Kendal had fallen asleep on my chest and was rudely awakened when they put the splint on her. We get to have the splint until Thursday and then she will have a thigh to toe cast for 6 weeks. Here is the kicker - she isn't supposed to walk on it. I asked Dr. Berg how I was going to keep her off of it, because he knows Kendal and how busy she is, and he said he would make the splint and the cast physically impossible to walk on. This will be interesting!


Here is Kendal this morning after she woke up, not happy about that leg of hers. When she woke up she tried to kick the covers off and said in a sad little voice "stuck stuck" pointing to her very heavy hurting leg.


Here she is after getting spiffed up this morning. I am not looking forward to 7 weeks without a full fledged bath. She loves the shower and the bath, she will be sad too.


Matt and Kelsey headed south this morning and when it came time for me to get in the shower I wasn't sure what to do. I got the play dough out again, put her in the high chair in the bathroom and took a nice quick shower.


She has been in such a good mood. I am surprised at how sweet she is. It is nice to have her happy and immobile, as bad as that sounds. She is usually such a busy body and very destructive, so to have her happy and stuck on the couch is nice for a change. We will see how long it lasts! She was making her baby doll clap its hands in this one, so darn cute.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((((Poor Kendal))))) and ((((((Poor Rach))))), the only bright side i can see to all of this, is that is not right smack dab in the middle of summer,,,I so wish i was closer, so i could take her for an afternoon,,,,,,,Hang in there, this too will go down in the book of memories.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! What a terrible way to welcome spring! I can't believe Kendal is smiling. Do they give kids pain meds?? I hope that your seven weeks goes by quickly!

I have a great solution to the deer problem...a dog! Luckily, I've never seen a deer at our house.

As for Kendal's therapist - I would have politely reminded her who was supposed to be receiving the therapy! Really I wouldn't have said anything, I would have just thought it. I wouldn't have the nerve to say anything.

Jenny said...

As Brian stated earlier today, we will trade you straight across, Kendal for Jack, broken leg and all!
She is such a good girl, this will be more of a test than any of those therapist could preform with her. I am truly glad this didn't happen on my Tramp. Matt would have never forgave me. Maybe we could duck tape Jacks legs together and they could have a play date!

ourhaskellfamily said...

Ok-your mom just said everything I was going to. Hopefully summer will go a little smoother.

Those darn OT's, I know. What are we going to do with them? Andy really never got into the kid aspects of OT in school. He didn't like that teacher. Now he has a client that is a baby and it has been a challenge. It is still frustrating to have someone critique your lifestyle.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the next morning went great. Hope you are coping well. So SO SO sorry, this is going to be a long 7 weeks....and then we will celebrate afterwards by camping:) Thanks for letting us come and lounge around till 10:30pm. If Kendal hadn't woken up who knows how long we would have stayed. It's not very often that "Crane" is Chatty, lol. Let me know if you need anything at all!

P.S. Coulld that picture make me look anymore THICK Rachel? You look great and it's your blog but keep in mind I HATE THAT PICTURE OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uhhhh, can you see my Ta Ta's good enough in it?

Spencer's Adventures said...

That's too bad, Rachel. My neighbor told me she heard Kendal broke her leg and I had to rush to the blog to find out for sure! We had a nephew that had a weird shaped cast recently. He learned how to manuever his way around. I am sure Kendal will too!

Jenn said...

WOW! I've always doubted that trampolines were really that dangerous until now.
I'm glad she didn't stay unhappy about being "stuck." That would be a miserable 7 weeks.

Adree said...

SO I totally feel like a dork because I've been out of it when it comes to bloging for the last two weeks, and I just got on to check out whats been going on and saw this. I feel so bad for little Kendal. I think you've had your fair share of things happen to take care of things for the next 10 years.

Britt said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! We've been out of town and I just pulled up your blog. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have an active toddler with a broken bone and a cast. Good Luck...and I hope she get's all better soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...