Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kelsey is a MASTER

I volunteered at the first of the school year to help the PTA with a program called MEET THE MASTERS. Masters being master artists. Funny I know, me teaching art, but it has been such a good time, and I only have to impress the Kindergartners. In a few of the projects we have used PAYONS. They are special crayons that you color with and then you get a sponge brush with water and go over the top of it to give a watercolor effect. I have looked for PAYONS in various crafty stores and have yet to find them. They are so fun. I did find some watercolor color pencils though so I bought them.
Kelsey has been playing with them re-creating some of the projects we have been doing this year. She loves art and for some strange reason she has an amazing memory of the different artists, what techniques they used, and what they painted.

Here is her picture of a tree by the river with its reflection that we learned using Auguste Renoir's technique. He was an impressionist painter, so use your imagination and see Kelsey's impressionistic use of color!

The very first artist we learned about was Georgia O'Keeffe. She painted the New Mexico desert with its colorful clay hills. Kelsey loves Georgia O'Keeffe for some reason and talks about her occasionally. She will say "Georgia O'Keeffe loved the desert, I think we should go there" or once when we were watching an old western movie she made a Georgia O'Keeffe comment. This picture has been hanging up in the kitchen for about a month and one of my friends who will remain unnamed said that Kelsey's New Mexico hills look like certain body parts! I didn't tell her that!

If anyone finds any PAYONS, let me know where you got them!

11 comments:

Alison said...

Rachel--

I think I found them for you... I did a little Google search for you, and you can get Prayons at Reuels. There is one on West Temple in Salt Lake, and 2 in other SLC locations. I go to the chiropractor near one of the locations, and I am going in a few weeks if you want me to check for you....

~ali

kaye valdes said...

Rachel,
I love the painting Kelsey did of the tree. Tell her I want to buy it from her to hang in my office I collect tree pictures. Or ask her to paint me one. I need something before she gets famous.
thanks Kaye Valdes

Anonymous said...

First of all,,,,, (((Kaye))), glad you dropping by. I am too lazy to do one these blog things, so its nice when everyone pops in and leaves messages.
And i agree, i love the tree pic,,,, its super-cala-fragil-istic-x-pe-ali-docious!,,,, Well, you know what i mean.

Anonymous said...

First of all,,,,, (((Kaye))), glad you dropping by. I am too lazy to do one these blog things, so its nice when everyone pops in and leaves messages.
And i agree, i love the tree pic,,,, its super-cala-fragil-istic-x-pe-ali-docious!,,,, Well, you know what i mean.

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted a memory like that. Could Kelsey study for my final this month? The guy is a freak about names and their opinions, she would do GREAT!!!

Krista said...

I love Kelsey's tree painting. It looks like a professional. She did a lot better than I would have.

BTW...Hope the bomb scare didn't affect you guys!

ToRi and cReW said...

I am very impressed by her tree picture. It seriously looks like something you would see in a gallery. You have one very multi-talented daughter on your hands!!

Jenny said...

Rachel, have Ali make it a double order!!! Kelsey is so talented because she loves to learn from her mother, who learns all of this stuff and teaches it to everyone! Kelsey just is so smart that she remembers it and can talk about it with you. I can't remember the last time Jacob and I talked about something that happened at school. Maybe Kaye Valdes would like a wall hanging of a tree???? What else am I going to do with it!

Rachel said...

Hey Kaye, Kelsey told me she was going to paint you two trees that you can pick your favorite from. One will be a summer tree and the other a fire (fall colors) tree. How is that?
She said we should mail them to you. She is so excited.
Ali, pick us up some, please!

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but this is a pretty simple technique that gets an amazing effect. She is good and loves to paint, but even I can do it!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you kelsey. I look forward to seeing both pictures. If you dont want to mail you can always bring to family reunion. keep up the good work. love kaye valdes

Unknown said...

Rachel,
I know that this is a little late, I see from the other comments that you may already have them. I was walking through walmart this morning and in the toys I found watercolor crayons. They are fat like lipsmackers lip stuff. I don't know if they are what you are looking for but Kendal might enjoy them. Bella loves them!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...