Monday, December 17, 2007

Rachel, the Procrastinator

Kelsey is in afternoon kindergarten and school starts for her at 12:45. We usually leave our house at 12:30 so she can play on the playground for a few minutes before school starts. So this morning at 11:45 I got a call from the school secretary and she said "Hello Rachel, this is Becky from school. I just got a list from the county health department and it says Kelsey isn't up to date on her immunizations." I said "Oh yeah, we had that done in October but I haven't brought the paperwork down to you yet." She said "Well, that is good, but Kelsey can not return to school until she is cleared by the health department, saying that she is current on her shots." My mind is racing "return to school?" what in the world does that mean? So I said, "She can't come to school until I get the paperwork done?" Thinking school starts in an hour! Sweet Becky said "That's right." When I was finished with this conversation, I remembered the letter I received about a week ago telling me that Kelsey was not up to date on her shots. I found that letter yesterday and told myself I needed to take care of that this week!
I got off the phone quickly, called the doctors office that we go to, and told them I would be there in a minute to pick up a copy of her shots, please have them ready for me.
I loaded Kendal into the car, with one sock and one slipper on, left Kelsey home to eat her lunch, and went to the south end of town to the doctor. I got there at 11:58 and the receptionist, who is the nice one said "Oh Rachel, I am glad you caught us, we were just headed to lunch" and handed me the papers. This summer I had a horrible Kendal experience with just missing the ladies who took a 2 hour lunch!! Not good! All I needed was a blood order form for the lab! Sorry, that is another story and I am getting hot thinking about it!
So now my mind is racing thinking, I bet I have to take these papers to the health department, not to the school office like I just thought. So Kendal and I raced to the health department, hoping they hadn't left for lunch yet! I got Kendal out of the car seat so fast, packed her on my hip (she weighs an easy 35 pounds) since she didn't have appropriate footwear on, down the LONG sidewalk to the health department offices. I ran to the desk and was so expecting the lady to say "I am sorry, we are leaving for lunch you will have to come back at 1:30" but she didn't. Whew!!
She was somewhat nice and took my papers. When she finished I said "Where are the papers that I need to take to the school?" She said she would take care of it for me. I then sweetly told her that Kelsey started school in a 1/2 hour and that they told me she couldn't go until she was 'cleared.' She very sternly told me, "I will take care of it right away, I will call them in a minute." That was my cue to leave, so I did.
Kendal and I went back home to find Kelsey's lunch consumed and all well. Kelsey got on her shoes, and her backpack and we were off to school at precisely, 12:31.
I had a great idea to go to Park City WalMart with Kendal while Kelsey went to school to pick up one more thing for Christmas for Kelsey. She informed me what Santa was bringing her and I hadn't known about this little item until 2 days ago! Kendal can't talk so my secrets are safe with her! Anyway, I didn't dare go to Park City because I had this horrible image in my mind of Kelsey sitting on a chair in the office all day because she couldn't go to class and I can't be found because the not so nice lady at the health department didn't ever call!
Well, Kendal and I went home and I didn't get a phone call, I figured that was a good sign! My afternoon proceeded nicely, but Kendal was having no part of the nap escapade! Darn it!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That story made me giggle,,, cause it was just the other day, i was telling your dad what a big ole procrastinator you are.
We love ya,,,,even if ya do put things off. (smile)

Anonymous said...

I sooo wouldn't put you in the procrastinator group! I will call it the "mommy is way too busy with other stuff to think about shots that have already been done so it is stored in the back of mommy's mind" category. I would be having more stress about the gift that Santa is sure to bring too! I was just notified that Santa is leaving Taylor a bell from one of his reindeer for her to keep for a year! Had no clue that was happening--but I guess it is now!

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a paper that you can sign that says your opting out on immunizations? We should all sign that so IF we do fall behind in getting those wonderful things done to our children, they can't keep us out of school. It would atleast buy us a little more time to get caught up. Way to go Rach! At least it all worked out.

Anonymous said...

that is what I was thinking Mindy!!

Jenny said...

Rachel, just listened to the message you left for me yesterday about heading to Dr. Bergs. FUNNY
Anyway glad everything all worked out and the student of "a" month didn't have to miss school. Maybe my kid would be student of he month if you would procrastinate on a few other things....

Anonymous said...

YOU LEFT KELSEY ALONE AT HOME??? Ok, now that I got that out of my system.....You left Kelsey at home?!! Oh wait, I already asked you that question, still digesting that part.

Good for you for getting that all done. Sounded like a crazy morning! I think it's funny that your secrets are safe with Kendal, lol!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the guilt trip Amanda!

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, just teasing you Rachie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...